Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Diamonds - my love

Diamonds are a girls best friend. Perhaps some of you know this is a song, performed by Marlyn Monroe, Nicole Kidnam, Frank Sinatra and many other singers . The song is written by T-Bone Burnett.

Have you ever asked yourself what is all about these diamonds that some people write songs about them, other people sing them and all of them seem to be very passionate about them. Why people are crazy about them? Why the diamonds are so magic and wicked?

Me, I asked myself this question. It was when my friend told me that he was bored waiting at the airport and he bought two diamonds. Afterwards he has studied the history of diamonds its structures and other complicated issues he managed to pass a special exam and got the certificate of being an expert of the diamonds.

For sure diamonds is a great business. Do you know that there are 21 I repeat 21 stock exchange markets of the diamonds. There are 1 500 companies dealing with diamonds. These companies employ 30 000 people. There is a capital of that business and it is not New York and not it even Warsaw although I bet Polish people would love to have Warsaw for the capital of the diamonds, it is Antwerpen. The most famous diamond was insured for 100 mio of USD.

Is it the whole truth about diamonds??? No, diamonds is also art with its particular technique in this case is a cut. I would like to tell you about one a very famous diamonds artist whose name sounds Polish but is not Polish - Marcel Tolkovsky. He invented the ideal cut. Apart from this one there 350 registered cuts. One of a famous cutters said that cutting a diamond is like a composing music, it never gets boring. Within the art of diamonds there are four holly C that play a vital role: Carat, Colour, Clarity and above mentioned Cut.

Is it the whole truth of the diamonds??? No, diamonds is pure chemistry and in details carbon and carbon atoms that are captured in a certain crystal layer. A colour of diamonds is a game between carbon atoms and nitrogen ones. The key issue is a replacement and absorption. When I have heard that Ben Afleck bought for Jennifer Lopez a ring with a pink diamond, I asked my friend why pink is pink I got a long email with all the details, I know now diamonds are chemistry. So we have business, art chemistry is it all that make diamonds so special. I was convinced that it is to little so I kept on searching. Socio-culture aspects of the diamonds are quite heavy in a metaphorical way. Diamonds means richness, luxury, prestige. A diamond is a symbol of being posh. All these characteristics are very superficial. It has no link to magic and being unique.

So why the hell diamonds are so special???? Why the hell they sing the songs about them??? Why the hell these ones who have them have show off them.

Finally I found the answer!

The diamond is a symbol of the love – this one the most important and the most true. A diamond the hardest stone in the world, a pure creation of nature shows the most important characteristics of love – that on one hand it is unbreakable and on the other that it is natural. Gabi Tolkovsky a son of great Marcel Tolkowsky that I have mentioned before says that his favourite form to cut of a diamond is a heart. At the same time it is the most difficult one. Now I know why the diamonds are a girls best friend.

No comments: