Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My first interview with a STAR

Yesterday I got a copy of the current NWE issue and I was extremely disappointed as my interview with Michael Moritz had been limited to a few lines!!!! That is why I want to publish here the whole version.

Michael Moritz hosts a regular show on Radio PIN. It’s called “After hours” – weekdays between 6 and 9 pm.

NWE’s Monika Kupiec caught up with the American-born DJ after one of his shows to find out more about the man behind the mic.

Monika Kupiec: How was the show tonight?

Michael Moritz: OK. I was a little tired, slept three hours, went to a mega party yesterday.

MK: Cool, let's back to more historic times. When did you arrive in Poland?

MM: It was eight years ago. I come from Detroit, Michigan -- I had a rock band there; we recorded two CDs. As we had a disagreement over money and my woman left me, I decided to come to Poland, to do something different. My Dad’s Polish and he had his own company at that time. I started working there, at his company, dealing with parcelling.

MK: Did you know any Polish when you first arrived?

MM: Yes. I used to come here for two months every summer. Basically I know Polish from the sand box. I went to school here for one year in 1983. So it wasn’t that I came here and started to learn Polish.

MK: What about broadcasting? Have did you have any DJ-ing experience before you came?

MM: When I was 12 years old I took part in a programme, "Be a DJ". That was lessons and I did it for three months. I forgot to bring the pictures from that time. I forgot about the whole interview!

MK: No problem.

MM: I didn’t shave -- this party yesterday.

MK: It’s good. You look natural.

MM: Yeah, I could do the Don Johnson thing... When you are 12 years old you don’t really remember anything so I don’t know whether it helped me.

MK: How come you do this very interactive style of DJ-ing? Did you learn it in the US?

MM: You know the whole idea of me being a DJ started at a club called "Aquarium". My brother said to me, “maybe you should try doing something in the media --you have an interesting accent”. And Mariusz Adamiak - the owner of Jazz Radio - at that time said, “yeah it sounds like a good idea”. So radio in Poland. At the beginning I would never have though I would do it; it just happened. I was a musician so I know a lot about music, and that really helped me in radio. I never really try to be a DJ. I believe that if you want to do something, don't try do it, simply do it.

MK: Do you still compose music or play in any bands here?

MM: No, I stopped doing that when I came to Poland, but I wouldn’t mind doing it again. But you know I work in radio, in television, I do a lot of partying so I don't have lots of time for that.

MK: Perhaps you can restart when you retire? Many people say they will do something unusual when they retire.

MM: Yeah, when I am 60 years old and I don't have teeth, I will sing.

MK: I know you have received an email saying that you can not speak Polish and why the hell do you work in radio. Did you feel hurt when you read that?

MM: No, I was thinking that perhaps I am not understood, that actually people don't know what I am talking about, don't find it funny or amusing. Yet for many people the fact that I don't speak perfect Polish is an advantage. People like it.

MK: Have you ever received an email saying that you steal work from Poles?

MM: No, but I know this patriotic kind of people who believe that only Poles should work in Poland. For these people I have an easy answer: if you think somebody else could do my job better, just let him do it. Anyway for me radio is a hobby. You know at the beginning I wasn't taken for my name, I was every Joe. That’s also important.

MK: Is it true that you’re the owner of Subway?

MM: Yeah.

MK: Is it because of money, or do you like cooking?

MM: I can only cook spaghetti. Subway was my idea -- to have something aside to make money. It’s an easy business. I also have a farm. People don't talk about it, they know me from radio, television.

MK: Are you happy at Radio PIN?

MM: Yeah, but I’d like to do more stuff.

MK: So I wish you more happiness and good music.

MM: Thanks.

Monika Kupiec

No comments: