Sunday, May 10, 2009

My publishing debut in London:-) - oh yes - being happy and proud of myself:-)))

Book Review: In The Moment

“In the moment” is a wonderful collection of great and personal essays by Gene Zelazny, The Firm Director of Visual Communication. Gene takes the reader for a trip into his mind and the story of his extremely interesting life shaped by the war and the stigma he experienced because of his Star of David.

One can only guess that his difficult life taught him what is most important in this world. As a consequence he’s astonishingly honest about what he thinks and feels. He doesn’t flirt with the reader. He doesn’t leave anything to guess work. He doesn’t allow for any reading between the lines. Gene always gets to the point. He even has the courage to tackle his spiritual beliefs infront of the reader. “I know you know that I’m not religious. The closest to a religion I aspire to is Hedonism. Today I practice it to the fullest, and, let me tell you, my God is better than your God”.

There’s no doubt Gene is a mature thinker. Each of the essays is a short story that is very touching and makes one hungry for more. Each chapter puts the reader in a philosophical mood about their life, and requires the reader to ask questions about themselves. That is a good reason for taking the book slowly. Gene uses simple language that makes this book an exciting read. “In the moment” is sointense in terms of the content on an intellectual level that fancy adjectives and sophisticated metaphors would spoil it. What I adore about “In the moment” is Gene’s game with himself and his identity.

I’m still not sure whether he’s Gene, Zelazny or Jeannot. The author is juggling with names and personalities of the same person. It isn’t confusing. It only proves the complexity of author’s mindset. I couldn’t help trying to figure out what his true personality is. Fortunately Gene gave me an answer when he mentioned he’s jealous about Madeline’s drawing (she’s a four years old girl).“In the moment” is a book written by a very intelligent man who “is innocent, natural, and doesn’t play to the crowd. He just writes through his free-flowing fingers”. This is the first time I’ve read this type of book and it has whetted my appetite for more. They definitely make me more conscious of my own life.


Find 'In The Moment' on Amazon.com.

No comments: